SSWLHC in the News
The publication Social Work: Strength-Based Practice in Hospital Case Management, hcpro.com, authored by Bonnie Geld, MSW, and SSWLHC Past President, Shawna Grossman Kates, LSW, MSW, MBA, CMAC, was borne from desire to fill a glaring a gap in the literature addressing social work practice in hospital-based case management.
Several expert SSWLHC members contributed chapters and highlighted examples that move this from a theoretical compendium to a practical handbook. It is a meaningful guide, whether the reader is a social work leader, front line social worker, or a non-social worker with responsibility for social work programs in their setting.
Social workers and case managers work to identify resources to meet primary social welfare needs; at their core, they demonstrate key skills of assessing, brokering, engaging, partnering, risk managing, and problem solving. Case management directors do not always know how to align social workers and RN case managers to:
- assure resources to maximize care coordination, discharge planning, revenue cycle, team collaboration, transitions in case, and other case management functions, and
- capitalize on the strengths of social work in demonstrating measurable outcomes
Click here to purchase the publication.
Congratulations to Authors: Bonnie Geld and Shawna Grossman Kates, and all the Contributors including several SSWLHC members:
- Matt Boettcher, LMSW-AP, LCSW, MSW
- Linda Brandeis, ACSW, LICSW
- Eleni Carr, MBA, LICSW
- Scott Ferguson, MSW, LCSW, ACM
- Jeanette Foster, MSW, LISW-S
- Theresa E. Jenner, MSW, LICSW
- Jill Karnes, MS, MSW, LISW-S
- Dara Kates Katz, LCSW, ACSW
- Evelyn Mascareñas, ASW
- Lori McCullough, MSW, LISW-S, C-ASWCM
- Renee Michelsen, MSS, LCSW
- Lawrence C. Pellegrini, MSW, MPA, and PhD candidate
- Nancy Shendell-Falik, RN, MA
- Roy Sittig, MD, SFHM
- June Stark, RN, BSN