Health Care Social Work Leader of the Year Award
Established in 1981, this award recognizes a social work leader from any one of the wide range of health care settings in which social work is influential.
Award Purpose, Expectations of Nominees
This award honors a social work leader in health care who develops and implements creative and innovative ways to improve the delivery of social work services. In this context, leader refers to all social workers who have had central involvement in developing the improved delivery systems.
In addition to demonstrating the characteristics of candidates for all Society awards (revised by the SSWLHC Board in 2003), the Health Care Social Work Leader of the Year recipient must an individual:
- Works in a health care setting – long-term care, rehabilitation, ambulatory, behavioral health care, home care, etc.
- Leads a health care social work program within the department or setting
- Demonstrates excellence in leadership and skill in the solutions of complex psychosocial situations as a clinician, supervisor or consultant
- Relates in an effective, assertive manner to all who are active in the social health care system- e.g., health care administrators, physicians and nurses, other professional or support staff, community agency personnel
- Serves on organizational-wide committees such as performance improvement, length of stay initiatives, education, long-range planning, JCAHO preparation, etc.
- Provides community service by serving on boards of directors of, or as a consultant to, social, health, education and other service-oriented groups
- May have responsibility for the day to day supervision of staff
- May offer direct social work services to clients
- Personalized, specially engraved award presented at the Opening Banquet dinner with five minutes to accept
- One (1) complimentary guest ticket to the Opening Banquet dinner
- Annual Meeting Conference Registration fee will be waived
- Bulletin board at the conference
|1984||Gene C. Rifkin|
|1985||Jane A. Collins|
|1986||M. Susan Schneberger|
|1987||C. Arlene Castanada|
|1989||Mary Ann Soerries|
|1990||Charles S. Hughes|
|1992||Jeanette D. Perdue|
|1994||Barbara J. Cohn|
|1995||Suzanne M. Hemp|
|2001||Sarah A. Oland|
|2003||Linda May Jones|
|2004||Stephanie Lane Rakofsky|
|2006||Kathleen M. Wa|
|2010||Judy Lukas Arnold|
|2012||Mary Norris Brown|
|2018||Lee Renee Lucas|